Postdoctoral researcher, Artificial intelligence for small molecule structure elucidation
The Faculty of Sciences of the University of Antwerp is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy in the Department of Computer Science.
Postdoctoral researcher in the field of artificial intelligence for small molecule structure elucidation
This project will be conducted within the biodata mining team, a rapidly growing, multi-disciplinary unit within the Adrem Data Lab / biomina of the department of Mathematics and Computer Science (University of Antwerp, Belgium). The Adrem Data Lab is an internationally renowned research group known for its contributions to the theory as well as practical applications of data sciences. In this lab prof. Kris Laukens leads a biodata mining research team (circa 20 people) that studies novel bio-informatics and artificial intelligence techniques to interpret complex biomolecular and biomedical data. The team performs both fundamental algorithmic research and applies these novel techniques to solve a diverse array of bioanalytical challenges and advance bio- and medical research in various areas.
You will study novel data mining and machine learning approaches tailored towards the field of small molecule mass-spectrometry. This chemical field plays a central role in many top-notch pharmaceutical and biotechnological applications. Its enormous data complexity requires novel, robust data processing, management and visualisation techniques. You collaborate with academic researchers in different disciplines (from computational sciences to life sciences) within the consortium (biomina- the biomedical informatics network Antwerpen, UAntwerpen) and with the industrial partners of the project.
Profile and requirements
- You have a PhD in computer science (data science, artificial intelligence, ...), bioinformatics or chemoinformatics.
- You have a strong research track record and demonstrated expertise in the theory and / or applications of artificial intelligence, machine learning and data mining techniques.
- You have a strong interest in translating new data science solutions to industry-grade applications.
- You have excellent interdisciplinary English communication skills, you are quality-oriented and creative, and eager to emerge in new domains. Proven project management skills and industrial experience are a plus.
- Previous experience in artificial intelligence and data mining for bioinformatics, mass spectrometry or related techniques is an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- a postdoctoral position (depending on your degree) for a period of one year, with possibilities for extensions. The earliest start date of the position is February 1st 2020 (but this is open for discussion);
- a salary commensurate with your experience and qualifications;
- a dynamic, stimulating and multinational work environment.
How to apply?
Candidates are invited to send a motivation letter, a detailed CV and contact info of at least two references (including email addresses and phone numbers) to Prof. Kris Laukens (email@example.com). Don’t hesitate to contact us in advance for more information.